“I have a PhD in XYZ. I know I don’t want to be in academia. Could you recommend a career path for me?”
Here’s why I can’t.
I am definitely one of those crazy people who believes you should do work you love, and which aligns with your goals and values. “A tad unrealistic, Gee?” Probably. But, I am not apologizing for it.😎
– what you actually enjoyed about your PhD
– the skills/knowledge you’re confident in
– your short-term and long-term goals
– the type of work that honors values you cherish
… it is difficult for me or anyone to say “choose this path.”
What to do instead:
1. I shared a list of 20+ career paths PhDs can consider. Please check it out.
3. Based on the list above and your self-introspection, narrow the list of possible careers down to 3-4 and do your research.
4. Start applying.
In the end, only you can choose and create the career you want.